How to Start a Successful Blog

In the podcast “Maria Popova on Being Interesting, Creating More Time in a Day, and How to Start a Successful Blog”, she talked about meaningful ideas that could help you to start writing. An idea that I found the most powerful was to write for yourself, not for other people. Maria Popova states, “The second you start doing it for an audience you’ve lost the long game because creating something that is rewarding and sustainable over the long run requires most of all keeping yourself excited about it which in turn of course requires only doing things that you yourself are in interested in, that interests you.” In short, she believes once you start writing for other people you are no longer excited about writing.

I found this idea powerful because it relates to me with writing. Sometimes when I have to write about something in school I only write what my teachers want to hear. This is difficult a lot of the time because writing for someone else requires so much more because you are trying to please someone who isn’t you. If you only write for yourself and you don’t try to please anyone but you, your writing will no longer be forced and it could be more meaningful because it’s what you think. Writing for yourself could also make you happier because you are no longer trying to impress anyone else. In the future when you want or have to write something don’t try to please other people, only write for yourself.